Why Choose BSU
There are many reasons to choose BSU.
Reason # 1 Dedicated Transfer Center
The Transfer Center's mission is to create a student-centered environment, free of prejudice that fosters long-term relationships and challenges students to be the best they can be. Bridgewater is a transfer friendly institution, with a Transfer Center dedicated to helping students. Bridgewater recognizes that each transfer student has a story unique to his/her own transfer situation. It doesn't matter what your story is, the Transfer Center will help you achieve your goals.
Reason # 2 Streamlined Process
Bridgewater has streamlined the transfer process for students;
Apply, Accept and Attend.
- Students transferring 24 or more credits simply fill out an application online and submit transcripts from each institution they have attended.
- Students transferring less than 24 credits, must submit high school transcripts, SAT scores and an essay.
- Bridgewater does not require transfer students to come in for an interview. Your acceptance to Bridgewater will be based on your success at your prior institution.
Reason # 3 Old Credits Never Die
- Bridgewater does not discriminate on the age of your coursework, as long as you received college credit from an accredited institution, with a grade of C- or above.
- There are Massachusetts statewide programs that do allow for the transfer of grades in certain situations.
Reason #4 Liberal Transfer Credit Policy
Bridgewater State University is very liberal in the number of transfer credits they accept from other institutions; 69 credits from a two-year institution and 90 credits from a four-year institution.
Reason #5 The MassTransfer Program:
The MassTransfer program is for students transferring from one Massachusetts public education institution (community college or university) to another Massachusetts public institution with a specified 34-credit block of courses called the MassTransfer block. It is not simply transferring from one Massachusetts public institution to another; you must meet the criteria listed below.
The MassTransfer block refers to a set of general education, core, or distribution requirements, consisting of 34 college-level credits (listed below) and provides students with the benefit of satisfying the core requirements of BSU with the exception of two courses. The receiving institution (BSU), is able to add no more than six additional credits or two courses. BSU has selected one course in Logical Reasoning and one in Spoken Communication. If you satisfy one or both of these requirements with a transfer course, you will not be required to take any additional Core courses.
The MassTransfer block consists of:
9 credits or 3 courses in Behavioral and Social Sciences
9 credits or 3 courses in Humanities and Fine Arts
7 credits or 2 courses, one with a lab, Natural or Physical Science
6 credits or 2 courses in English Composition/Writing I & II
3 credits or 1 course in Mathematics/quantitative reasoning
NOTE: The MassTransfer block must be completed prior to transferring to BSU. If you are missing one course, you will not qualify.
Additional MassTransfer Information:
- It is up to your transfer institution to qualify you for MassTransfer. Bridgewater State University does not make that determination. Check with your sending institution to see if you have met all of the MassTransfer requirements.
- To be recognized as a MassTransfer student at BSU, transcripts must contain the qualifier MassTransfer Block Complete. Some institutions will qualify a student as soon as they meet the MassTransfer block, while other institutions wait until for the final transcript. It is the student's responsibility to be sure that BSU receives this information.
- You may apply to Bridgewater before you complete the block, however you must satisfy all of the requirements before you begin your first semester.
- You do not need to have an associates degree to take advantage of the MassTransfer block.
- MassTransfer guarantees admission to students who graduate with an associates degree and a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average (GPA).
- MassTransfer students who graduate with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher are eligible for a tuition discount (1/3 off the in-state tuition) under the Tuition Advantage Program (TAP). If the student maintains a 3.0 GPA for the first year at the transfer institution, he or she will receive 1/3 tuition waiver for the second year of attendance.
- As a participant in the MassTransfer Program, the Bridgewater State University application fee is waived.
- Students that do not qualify for MassTransfer will be required to complete BSU's core curriculum.
- Students admitted into the baccalaureate program are subject to the academic policies of Bridgewater State University.
- Students planning to take Spoken Communication and Logical Reasoning prior to transfer should use the B.E.A.R.S. program to determine course equivalency. The B.E.A.R.S. program (Bridgewater Equivalency Articulation Reporting System), can be found on the Transfer Central website.
- To find out if you are eligible for MassTransfer, please check with your sending institution to see if you qualify, Bridgewater does not determine your eligibility.
- To learn more about MassTransfer, go to the Transfer Central website and click on Massachusetts State Programs.
Reason #6 Accessible, Affordable + Quality
Bridgewater is accessible, affordable and provides a high quality education.
- Small class sizes
- Over 32 undergraduate majors
- Internships, honors and study abroad programs
- Research opportunities
- Community service opportunities
- Complete evening degree programs
- Over 65 clubs and activities
- 21 Division III varsity sports
- Commuter rail stops on campus