1. What time is the ceremony and where is it located?
- The Commencement ceremony will take place on the Boyden Quadrangle under a tent. The ceremony will begin at 6:30 PM.
- All guests must have tickets for admission to the tent. Be sure to review the schedule for recommended arrival times.
- We encourage both graduates and guests to watch the weather forecast and dress according to the ever changing New England weather. The weather is traditionally cool. Keep in mind the tent is outdoors and, although under cover, everyone will be exposed to the temperature.
2. How long will the ceremony last?
Approximately 2.5 hours.
3. How do we obtain tickets?
Graduates should visit Graduation Central for information on claiming tickets.
4. Does a three year old need a ticket?
Yes, only children under the age of two are admitted without a ticket. For safety purposes and respect for others, children are not allowed to sit on laps. This is a very long ceremony and often difficult for younger children to remain seated for the entire ceremony.
5. Where do I park?
Guests and students will be permitted in the parking areas highlighted on the campus map. For more information regarding parking and shuttle bus service, please visit the commencement parking page.
6. Who will assist with disability concerns for guests or graduates?
All graduating students and their guests needing disability accommodations must complete a Disability Request Form available on the graduation website.
- Guests and student attendees who are not graduating must complete a Disability Request Form. Note the deadline date on the form. A BSU staff member will contact you to discuss the specific accommodation needed (e.g. handicap parking and transportation, interpreter services, wheelchair seating, etc.). Questions should be directed to the College of Graduate Studies, 508.531.1100
- Graduating students who will require accommodations in the graduation process must complete a Disability Request Form. Note the deadline on the form. A staff member from the Disability Resources Office will contact you to discuss the specific accommodation needed (e.g. interpreter services, wheelchair seating, etc.). Questions should be directed to Disability Resources, 508.531.2194 (TTY 508.531.6113).
7. Will there be vendors?
Bridgewater memorabilia will be sold by the BSU Follett bookstore located in the East Campus Commons and will be open until 6:00 PM on commencement day.
There will be kiosks selling flowers for your graduate. Please note, balloons and flowers in glass vases will not be permitted under the tent.
8. Is there a reception for guests?
A reception for graduates and their guests will be held immediately following commencement at the back of the tent.
9. Will there be a professional photographer there?
Each graduate will be professionally photographed by Grad Images, Inc. as he or she receives a diploma and exits the stage. Family and friends are not permitted in the aisles to take photographs. Graduates can visit www.gradimages.com and click on Pre-Event Email Registration to register their email address.
10. What happens if there is inclement weather?
- Commencement will be held rain or shine under the tent on the Boyden Quadrangle. For those without tickets under the tent, widescreen viewing will be available in the Horace Mann Auditorium in Boyden Hall. Call 508.531.1777 if there are weather related issues the day of Commencement. Also, graduates will receive a text or phone message with additional weather related information if necessary.
- Graduates and guests are encouraged to watch the weather forecast and dress accordingly. Keep in mind the tent is outdoors and, although under cover, everyone will be exposed to the temperature which is traditionally cool.
If you have additional questions, the College of Graduate Studies office is here to help make your graduation a memorable event. The office, located on the ground floor of the Maxwell Library, Room 021, is open 8:30 AM - 5 PM daily and can be reached at 508.531.1100 or email@example.com. For any questions guests may have the evening of commencement, there will be an Information Tent located on the Boyden Quadrangle for assistance.