Use of the Ratna Chandrasekhar Information Literacy Center (RCILC)
Library Room L112
The purpose of this policy is to delineate the use of The Ratna Chandrasekhar Information Literacy Center (RCILC) in Maxwell Library at Bridgewater State University. The RCILC Room was designed for use by librarians to offer classroom instruction in library (or bibliographic) instruction, library orientation, research support, or information literacy. It is not intended to be an open access lab, general purpose classroom, or meeting room.
The RCILC enables librarians to teach information literacy to groups within the physical library environment, to have ready access to research materials, and to encourage users to become familiar with the wide variety of information resources.
This policy applies to all students, faculty, and staff of Bridgewater State University and to all other users who are authorized to access information technology at Bridgewater State University.
- Faculty members may choose to schedule a library instruction session in their regular classrooms or in L112. Faculty members who wish to schedule a library instruction session may do so by completing an online request form at http://library.bridgew.edu/forms/biform.htm, by calling the Reference Services at (508) 531-1394, or by stopping by the Reference desk on the first floor of the library. Library instruction sessions for College of Education courses may be scheduled by contacting the Educational Resource Center (ERC) directly at (508) 531-1304. The RCILC is available only during the library’s hours of operation.
- Once a class has met with a librarian for a session, the course instructor may request the use of the RCILC one additional time in the semester so students may continue their library research. The faculty member must remain with the class during the session. The room must be reserved no more than one week in advance.
- The RCILC may only be used for library orientation and research purposes and cannot be reserved for any other purpose, except as outlined in points 4-6 below. These exceptions are generally only made during non-peak instruction times.
- Other library departments may reserve the room for training and/or demonstrations. Such requests will be routed through a Reference librarian who will check the availability of the room.
- All other requests for using or reserving the room will be reviewed by librarians. The requester generally will be notified within 24 hours if the room is available for the intended use. (The room may be reserved no more than one week in advance.)
- The room may be opened at the discretion of the Reference Librarian on duty for use as an open access lab, primarily during final examinations week.